What is Valentine’s Day without bright pink pancakes? These delicious pancakes, adapted from Brandless’ Gluten-Free Pancake and Waffle Mix features a surprise ingredient… BEETS! You heard me right. By adding beets to the mix, you not only get a beautiful pink pancake, but you are also able to omit the oil in the recipe, which decreases calories and fat content! What’s amazing is that you still get delicious and fluffy pancakes. Beets may not be a popular vegetable, but by combining them into this recipe, you actually can hardly taste them at all, making it a healthier option for anyone, despite your liking of beets. Get cooking this Valentine’s Day and grab a pack of Brandless’s Gluten-Free Pancake Mix, Milled Flax Seeds, almond milk, and a beet and get cooking!
Brandless Beet Pancakes
- 1 bag Brandless Gluten-Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1/4 cup Roasted beets, pureed
- 1 tbsp Brandless Milled Flax Seeds mixed with 2 tbsp water to make Flax Egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Brandless Organic Maple Syrup or agave
- Fruit to top
- The night before you intend to make pancakes, preheat oven to 400º. Cut off root and stem from beet and scrub/wash until clean. Wrap beet in foil and place in oven to roast for an hour. Sit a cooking sheet on the rack below to catch any drip from the roasting beet.
- After beet is roasted, set in refrigerator overnight to cool. In the morning, use a food processor or high-speed blender to pureé the beet. Spoon out 1/4 cup to use for the recipe and use the rest for another recipe, such as beet hummus.
- Prepare flax egg using 1 tablespoon Brandless Milled Flax Seeds and 2 tablespoons hot water. Mix together and let sit for 30-60 seconds until a gel forms.
- Add Brandless GF Pancake Mix to a medium mixing bowl. Then add flax egg, almond milk, and pureed beat and whisk until combined. Do not overmix, small lumps are okay! If it is too thick, add more almond milk; if it is too thin add 1/2 tbsp milled flax seeds and mix thoroughly and let sit for a minute or two to thicken.
- Preheat skillet or griddle to medium (~350ºF) and lightly grease.
- Pour ~1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until bubbles form on top of pancakes.
- Flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Serve with Brandless Organic Maple Syrup and top with fresh fruit!
- Makes 6-8 pancakes. Enjoy!!