One of my favorite things about winter: SOUP.
It wasn’t until I got my Vitamix (I use the Vitamix 5200!) that I really started exploring different soup recipes, and I feel I still haven’t taken complete advantage of the soup setting. The blades move so fast on a Vitamix that it creates friction and heats the soup up while you’re blending.. which makes soup making so easy!
When I make any kind of squash, I love setting the seeds aside and seasoning then roasting them to use as a snack, salad topper, or the perfect garnish for soup! If you have a Vitamix or high-speed blender at home, this is a classic 3 step recipe: ROAST, BLEND, ENJOY!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash 2-3#, peeled, halved vertically, and seeded (save the seeds!)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic powder minced
- 1 tsp organic 100% maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp organic ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- sea salt + black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter my favorite: Earth Balance
- all of the collected seeds from the squash
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tso smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Peel squash with a vegetable peeler, half vertically, and chop into chunks and season with salt and pepper. Carve out seeds and set aside
- Place squash on pan and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40-50 minutes
- While squash is cooking, wash off seeds and remove any squash flesh. Put in a small cup or mixing bowl and mix with desired spices. Place seeds in oven (optimally in a second oven on 300º, but the same oven is fine, just be sure to check on them so they don't burn). Check after 10 minutes, removing them when slightly browned and crunchy
- In a small skillet, caramelize shallot and garlic until golden brown, stirring often. This should take only a few minutes.
- After caramelized, add to blender. When squash is finished cooking, let cool for a few minutes then add to blender.
- Add maple syrup, nutmeg, salt and pepper, vegan butter, and the vegetable broth.
- Blend on the "soup" preset, if your blender has one. If not, blend on high for 4-5 minutes. Add more broth as necessary to thin it out.
- Serve and top with roasted squash seeds and black pepper.
- Store leftovers in a glass container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy!