What’s better than heart-shaped pancakes on Valentine’s Day? PINK heart-shaped pancakes!!! Absolutely zero artificial coloring involved. The secret ingredient: BEETS. Dwight Schrute would be so proud. To be completely honest- I hate the taste of beets. I continually force myself to eat them because I know how good they are for me. You can not taste them one bit in this recipe- in fact, the pancakes mostly taste like bananas! So if you’re trying to sneak some beets into your diet but also are craving some soft and fluffy pancakes, you are in luck.
Valentine's Beet Pancakes
- 1/2 cup diced beets roasted
- 2 organic ripe banana mashed
- 2 flax egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp vegan butter my favorite: Earth Balance
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- organic ground nutmeg
- Put banana and beets in Vitamix (or other blender) and blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour out the banana-beet mixture and add the baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, flax egg, & cinnamon and whisk until combined. Let sit for a minute.
- Melt vegan butter and add to mix with almond milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour and continue to whisk. Let sit a few minutes. If it's too thick add almond milk- and if too thin add more flour.
- Heat skillet and lightly spray with oil
- Pour batter in 1/4 cup increments onto skillet in heart shapes. Flip when bubbles appear in batter and stay popped.
- Top with sliced bananas, raspberries, warmed almond butter or maple syrup, or nut of choice!