This one’s for all my girls (and guys) who use dry shampoo more than regular shampoo (is that just me?) or those aspiring to save on your water bill… or maybe just wanting to be a little more lenient on your hair washing schedule. We really should only wash our hair only once or twice a week- but that just does not cut it for those with more oily hair. Dry shampoos definitely do the trick, but they usually cost upwards of $7 per bottle and only last a few weeks! Plus they’re not eco-friendly with the aerosol can and packaging.
Making your own is not only eco-friendly but also very cost efficient- and you already most likely have the ingredients in your pantry! Therefore it is practically FREE! It only takes 2 ingredients (3 for dark hair) and under a minute to throw together. Plus it’s highly customizable and you can put in any essential oil to make it your favorite smell! Here’s to being eco-friendly, saving money, and good hair!
DIY Dry Shampoo
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup organic cacao powder unsweetened for dark hair
- 1-2 drops essential oil of choice optional
- Put all together in a jar and shake until throughly mixed
- Use a cosmetic brush (I use the smallest of these bamboo brushes- they're vegan/cruelty-free/environmentally friendly) to apply to scalp and greasy areas. A little goes a very long way! Be sure to tap off excess on the brush before applying
- Let set for 30-60 seconds and then brush through hair (I like to go against the grain to give it a little more body!) (psst.. this is my favorite brush)
- Look amazing.