It’s a snow day in Oklahoma which naturally means it’s pancake day!!! Really predictably blasting Jack Johnson in the background as I write this post. This recipe was derived from Minimalist Baker’s “Vegan Banana Nut Muffin Pancake” recipe- but today I was just craving the simplicity of a plain banana pancake.
These took about 10 minutes to prepare and only 5 minutes to cook. The recipe makes about 6 pancakes, and one serving (3 pancakes) is 300 calories, 5 grams protein, 7 grams of fiber, meets 39% daily iron and 46% daily calcium! If you’re wanting an extra protein boost for after a morning workout you could throw in some vegan protein powder and a tad bit more almond milk and they come out about the same!
They’re perfectly moist and fluffy and undetectably gluten-free and vegan. Pairs perfectly drizzled with some almond butter or pure maple syrup!
Banana Pancakes (v/gf)
- 1 organic ripe banana medium-large
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp vegan butter my favorite: Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp organic ground nutmeg
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana and then add the baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, flax egg, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk until combined. Let sit for a minute.
- Melt vegan butter and add to mix with almond milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour and continue to whisk. Let sit a few minutes. If it's too thick add almond milk- and if too thin add more flour.
- Heat griddle or skillet on stove top over medium heat and lightly grease
- Pour batter in 1/4 cup increments onto griddle and flip when edges begin to dry and bubbles in the batter appear and stay popped
- Cook for another 1 or 2 minutes and remove from heat and top with sliced bananas, warmed almond butter or maple syrup, or nut of choice!