With milk and cookies as your two main food groups, it’s no wonder you’re known for your rounded cheeks and belly (no offense). I figured you may want a healthier alternative this year, so I made for you some gluten-free/vegan chocolate chunk cookies. All the same yummy taste with none of the cholesterol, saturated fat, refined sugar, preservatives, or additives.
They have a wonderful molasses-y flavor with a hint of cinnamon and topped with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. Perfectly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. They are AMAZING dunked in some homemade almond milk or served with some vegan hot cacao.
Chocolate Chunk Cookies (gf+vegan)
- 1.25 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup vegan butter my favorite: Earth Balance Organic
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup organic sugar my favorite: Wholesome
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Mega Chunks or other vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp organic molasses
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon favorite brand: Simply Organic
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt or Celtic, or other sea salt
- Himalayan sea salt
- Cream together (with a mixer) vegan butter, sugar, and molasses in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare egg substitute and add to mixing bowl with vanilla, continuing to mix and scraping sides as needed
- Add gluten free baking mix 1/2 cup at a time and mix until it forms a dough
- Add cinnamon, fine sea salt, and chocolate chips and mix dough well
- Place mixing bowl in refrigerator for least 4-6 hours until chilled
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough and roll into balls. Place 1.5-2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Use a fork and smash/cross hatch each cookie so they lay somewhat flat
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until you stick a toothpick in the middle and no residue remains. Sprinkle coarse sea salt to tops of cookies immediately after they come out of the oven.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and after transfer to cooling rack. Leftovers can be stored in fridge for several days or freezer for a few weeks
- Dunk in almond, soy, or coconut milk for an extra Christmas treat. Enjoy!!