Have you ever wondered if there’s a healthier alternative to the sugar and fat-packed desserts we all love?? Well, as a matter of fact, there is! However, most people wouldn’t believe that the secret recipe is… beans. Yup, beans! Not only do they replace the milk and flour in a recipe, but they also bring a whopping amount of fiber and protein! I’ve tasted cookies made from chickpeas that you would never know the difference! If you’re not a beans fan, you’d be happy to know you can’t even taste them! I even got the thumbs up from my unreasonably picky little brother! So, last night I was mega-craving some chocolate and decided to try out some for myself !
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans rinsed and drained (or use ~ 2 cups black beans)
- 2 flax egg (2 tbsp milled flax + 4 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup organic cacao powder or sub 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Toppings of your choice! Try walnuts vegan chocolate chips, or coconut (add the last 5 minutes to toast or after baking)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly grease a standard size muffin pan (12 slot) or 8x8 baking pan.
- Thoroughly drain and rinse your black beans and place in blender or food processor.
- Prepare flax egg and add to black beans
- Add remaining ingredients (besides toppings) and blend/process until smooth. Scrape down sides until all is completely blended.
- If the batter is too thick, add a Tbsp or two of water and blend again. The consistency should be thick (think a little less thick than frosting) but not runny!
- Use a spoon to fill 12 slot muffin tin our pour into baking pan
- If you decide to use toppings, sprinkle on top!
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, checking at 25. The brownies will begin to pull away from the pan. Use a toothpick to stick in the middle to see if they are finished cooking.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. They can be fragile, so be careful removing from the tin! (If the insides are fudge-y, that's great! They're meant to be both crispy and creamy. And since they're vegan- no need to worry about eggs!)
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container