Houston has become a city I have grown to love. One of my very best friends, Kate, lives in HTX and I try to visit any time our schedules/wallets allow. A bonus part of our friendship is that she is also a lover of fruits & veggies, so we try out new healthy restaurants all the time. This time we made it our mission to discover the plant-based options that HTX has to offer, and I was very impressed!! We found some delicious restaurants that offer amazing plant-based options that were somewhat tucked away (and got our friends Kyleigh and Carli to join too!). We got to try a great handful of restaurants this time, but I'm excited to come back and try the many more that are on the list!
Green Seed Vegan
Green Seed is one of the only restaurants in Houston that I found that was completely plant-based, and primarily raw! Almost everything on the menu could be made gluten free. Their menu had wraps and sandwiches, salads, veggie burgers, and smoothies/juices. It looks a bit run down on the outside but is really cute and fresh on the inside. We had an amazing micro green salad, a brown rice wrap with portobello mushrooms and sweet potatoes, dill dusted sweet potato fries, and a gf/vegan brownie! This is definitely a must-try in HTX.
Local Foods was hands down my favorite place we went in Houston. It’s not a plant-based restaurant but they have plenty of plant-based options on their menu, including a vegan kale caesar salad topped with homemade vegan cheese! I also tried some delicious Ruby Grapefruit Kombucha as a collaboration between Pat Greer’s Kitchen and Local Foods. I had a taste of my friend Kate’s Harvest Salad and it was a winner too. This is a great place to go with vegan-curious or omnivorous friends.
Some of the best pho I’ve ever had! Old Saigon had plenty of veggie options and veggie broth. They had artichoke pho, which was the first time I had ever heard of it, but now I’m wondering why others don’t offer it!! I got the tofu & veggies pho with artichokes and practically slurped it all down. The edamame was delicious and their tofu spring rolls (though I didn’t try any) looked delish.
JuiceWell is a great smoothie/smoothie bowl restaurant. You can customize your own bowl and add any topping/ingredient you want or order from the menu. It reminded me of a Which Wich for açaí bowls. This has been one of my favorite places in Houston so far! Plus they have a great outside patio that is really fun when the weather is nice.
Daily Juice is another great local smoothie/juice/acai bowl joint. Everything on the menu is dairy-free and gluten-free, which made it extremely easy to order! Kate and I both got the Half Moon and made it into a bowl with gluten-free granola and berries. Wish I could have tried a few others!
Formerly RugglesGreen, BellaGreen is an upper-scale restaurant has plenty of veggie options. I had the Oh Kale Yeah! salad with blackened tofu and it was possibly one of my favorite salads I’ve ever had! This is a great place for a nicer dinner and a glass of wine. You will have plenty of options to choose from on their menu!
MOD is a fun, quick pizza restaurant with gluten-free and dairy-free options on their menu. Their dairy-free cheese was actually really great, I didn’t recognize the taste so I know it wasn’t Daiya. They have plenty of veggies to load on your pizza, so Kate and I made our own and split and piled on the toppings. They also had a pizza salad which seemed interesting- like a salad on top of a pizza crust. This is a great restaurant to bring your non-vegan friends so that everyone can get something delicious.
Harvest Organic Grille
AaOther noteworthy restaurants I didn't get to try:
- Garden Kitchen (a health-conscious eatery with plant-based & raw food inside the Montgomery Heart & Wellness Center. Headed by Dr. Baxter Montgomery- an amazing & inspirational plant-based cardiologist)
- Pepper Tree (I was sad I didn’t get to try out this restaurant because I have heard they have a killer dinner buffet with an insane amount of delicious vegan options. This is next on my list!)
- Govinda’s Vegetarian Cuisine (Right next to a beautiful Indian Temple! They have a great rotation of vegan buffet items and have everything marked vegan/gluten-free on the menu, which was really helpful! They are completely vegan on Wednesdays and Sundays. Would love to make it over next time)
- Awesome Bites Co. (Houston first allergy friendly, health conscious bakery. Everything on the menu is dairy, egg, soy and nut free, vegan and plant based. Also find unusual treats like their one-of-a-kind muffins only sweetened with fruits and vegetables and gluten free brownies and blondies that are bean based!)
- Loving Hut (I was surprised to find Loving Hut in Houston, I first found it in Westfield Mall in San Francisco. It’s a completely vegan asian fast-food, almost like Panda Express but healthy. I loved it when I had it in SF, so I’m assuming the Houston location is great as well!)
- Cafe TH (a vietnamese restaurant that has an entire vegan portion of their menu that features curry, stir fried tofu and pho which are gluten-free)
- Doshi House (coffee shop that also has a small lunch at 11 and dinner after 5pm.. and everything is vegan! They also have great-looking smoothies and tonics.)
- Field of Greens (tons and tons and tons of vegan options on their menu! They essentially have everything)
- Quan Yin (a completely vegan restaurant that has an extensive menu! They have a ton of vegan 'meats' that have an amazing reputation)
- JINYA Ramen Bar (completely vegan ramen on their menu!)
- Sinfull Bakery (vegan baked goods!!! From bars to cookies, granola bars, cinnamon rolls, pies, loaves, cupcakes, you name it!
- Revolución Coffee + Juice (cold press juice and coffee bar. They have a great juice menu and store menu that has all of their coffees + açaí/pitaya bowls!)
- Sunshine's (health food store & vegetarian deli! Menu rich with burgers, sandwiches, and other hearty plant-based foods)
- Kraftsmen Baking (a coffee shop and brunch spot. I loved the environment here. They have plant-based milks that you can use in your drink, and I actually spotted some vegan jerky for sale on their shelf!)
- Thai Gourmet (some of the best curry I’ve ever had and they have a full vegetarian menu!
- Adair Kitchen (they have a black bean quinioa burger that you can use as protein for any entree. They have a 'Super Veggie Bowl' and a 'Super Food Bowl' on their lunch & dinner menus that look great. They also have an entire juice menu)
- Snap Kitchen (fresh food delivered to you with vegan options!)
- Ginger & Fork (chinese, vegan, & vegetarian restaurant. Their menu has a little flower for every item that is vegan!)
- Green Vegetarian Cuisine (vegetarian/vegan restaurant (and kosher!) Plus they have some vegan brunch/breakfast options on their menu!)
- Season's Harvest Cafe (Farm to table restaurant with lots of plant-based options! Offers one raw vegan menu item that rotates daily.)
- Lucy's Ethiopian Restaurant & Lounge (Ethiopian food with an entire vegetarian menu)
- Blue Nile (another Ethiopian restaurant that has an entire vegetarian menu)
- Kim Son (have heard they have some of the best vegan pho in Houston and also has a delicious seven spice tofu vermicelli bowl)
- Ahh, Coffee (coffee shop that now offers delicious vegan kolaches and empanadas!)
- Fadi's (my friend Kate has a major crush on this place. She says they have amazing hummus and homemade falafels!)
- Les Ba'get (not very veggie friendly, but I got a really good vermicelli noodle bowl with tofu (make sure to ask for no fish sauce!) their specialty is beef, so that adds another aspect of the restaurant. They don’t have veggie broth, so this is not the place to get pho. Delicious tofu though!)
- Black Walnut Cafe (only had a few vegan options but had a delicious hummus black bean burger! Paired great with sweet potato fries & fruit. Apparently their hummus is also great.)
- Crumbville (bakery that serves some delicious vegan options in the Third Ward)
- Pondicheri (bakery and restaurant with vegan options breakfast-dinner!
- ENDless Bakery (bakery without dairy, eggs, or nuts! Most items are vegan-friendly)
- Rani's World Foods (Indian Ethnic grocery store with a vegetarian/vegan restaurant!)
- True Foods Kitchen (an amazing restaurant that I've visited in Chicago and Dallas! Great plant-based options and always such a fun environment.)
- Ripe Cuisine (organic, plant-based food truck in Houston!! Click here for their truck schedule and here for their menu)
- Falacos Food Truck (food truck in Houston that is 100% vegan & gluten free!! Their whole menu revolves around deep fried falafel balls!! Check their truck schedule here and their menu here)
Am I missing your favorite plant-based restaurant? Have a city request? Other suggestions or comments? Click here!
Last updated on 01/18/18