What's better than heart-shaped pancakes on Valentine's Day? PINK heart-shaped pancakes!!! Absolutely zero artificial coloring involved. The secret ingredient: BEETS. Dwight Schrute would be so proud. To be completely honest- I hate the taste of beets. I continually force myself to eat them because I know how good they are for me. You can not taste them one bit in this recipe- in fact, the pancakes mostly taste like bananas! So if you're trying to sneak some beets into your diet but also are craving some soft and fluffy pancakes, you are in luck.
- 1/2 cup diced beets (roasted)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 2 tbsp warm water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (my favorite: Earth Balance)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Put banana and beets in Vitamix (or other blender) and blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour out the banana-beet mixture and add the baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, flax egg, & cinnamon and whisk until combined. Let sit for a minute.
- Melt vegan butter and add to mix with almond milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour and continue to whisk. Let sit a few minutes. If it's too thick add almond milk- and if too thin add more flour.
- Heat skillet and lightly spray with oil
- Pour batter in 1/4 cup increments onto skillet in heart shapes. Flip when bubbles appear in batter and stay popped.
- Top with sliced bananas, raspberries, warmed almond butter or maple syrup, or nut of choice!
Serving Size: 2 pancakes | Makes 4 Servings (does not include toppings)
Calories: 260 | Protein: 4 g | Fiber: 5 g | Carbs: 44 g | Fat: 8 g | Sugar: 9 g | Calcium: 30% RDA | Iron: 29% RDA