Local Roots + Superfood Energy Bites
Having my own plant-based blog has been on my heart and mind for a while now. I started out a few weeks ago with my Instagram (@localrootsdietitian if you haven't checked it out yet!) to get my feet wet and make sure I knew what I was getting into. I've been so grateful to receive so much encouragement and positivity that has uprooted my insecurity and helped me think "you know, why not???". It's something that I'm deeply passionate about and have literally wrapped my life and career around - so it only makes sense to me I share my thoughts, advice, and passions. So thank you to all the people who have reached out to me and encouraged and supported me through this - you really don't understand how much it means to me.
I created this account with two goals in mind:
(1) to advocate for whole-food, plant-based nutrition that nourishes the whole body down to the very roots of nourishment. This includes fresh, organic, pure ingredients that promote holistic healing and well-being.
(2) to push local produce and support local farmers and businesses. Not only is local produce more nutritious, but it tastes and looks better, supports local families, benefits the local environment and wildlife, and invests in local business for the future so we have local farms for years to come!
Through those two goals sprouted Local Roots. I'm excited to advocate for something I love so dearly, promote whole-food, plant-based nutrition, encourage holistic healing and living, provide recipes & meal prep ideas, and hopefully help others see the plentiful benefits to a plant-based lifestyle.
With that, my very first Local Roots Recipe! I made these for the first time a few nights ago, but are perfect for the first week of school to give a little extra boost of energy! They are rich with antioxidants, fiber, omega-3's, and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
Superfood Energy Bites
2 cups soft Medjool dates (pitted)
1.5 cups sunflower seeds or other nut/seed of choice
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tbsp maca powder
1 tbsp ground and whole flax seeds
1 tbsp green superfood powder (I prefer the Arbonne greens balance, but any sort of organic green superfood powder will work!)
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
(**all ingredients are organic and non-GMO)
1. In a large food processor with an “S” blade, process together nuts and coconut until crumbled
2. Add in the dates, coconut oil, vanilla bean, cranberries, sea salt, maca and greens powder and process again until a uniform and sticky batter is made.
3. Scoop in tablespoon measurements and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Top with unsweetened shredded coconut or topping of your choice
4. Place in the refrigerator or freezer until chilled. Serve and enjoy!
Serves: ~30 bite sized balls | Serving Size: 1 ball
Calories: 60 kcal | Carbs: 9 grams | Fat: 3 grams | Protein: 1 gram