Okay friends, this is the savory, spicy, and hearty JACKPOT. I had meal prepped some green lentils, sweet potatoes, and quinoa already so I decided to turn them into a delicious recipe. This was so easy to make and I had the whole thing prepared in under an hour! (just be sure to have your cashews pre-soaked. If not, rush-soak them like I did for an hour in almost-boiling water).
This recipe has 21 (!!!!!) grams of plant-based protein per serving along with 16 grams of fiber and over 250% of your daily value of vitamin A. This dish left me feeling so satisfied and full in all the right ways. It reheats really well and keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge. You really could get creative and add any veggies into the stuffing or use another veggie as the boat- like a zucchini or squash. Any way you make it, this dish is sure to please any vegan or omnivore alike.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced length-wise
- Spices (chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, etc)
LENTIL QUINOA STUFFING
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
CASHEW CHEESE DRIZZLE
- Preheat oven to 400º
- If you haven't soaked your cashews overnight yet, measure out cashews and soak in almost-boiling water, covered, for an hour
- Cut sweet potatoes in half length-wise and dust lightly with spices of choice
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until browned and roasted
- In the meantime, prepare your stuffing by chopping your onions and mincing the garlic.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and caramelize your onions and garlic
- Add spinach and sauté until wilted
- Add lentils, quinoa, and all spices and sauté for 5-6 more minutes on medium heat, until stuffing is heated throughout Add splashes of vegetable broth to keep moist and encourage cooking, and add more once it has evaporated
- Once cooked, set aside until sweet potatoes are ready
- Once sweet potatoes are roasted, remove from oven and scoop out the middle of the sweet potato and mix into the stuffing
- If stuffing has cooled, put on medium-high heat and heat up again
- Make cashew cheese by draining/rinsing cashews and putting them and all the other ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender and mix until creamy
- Stuff sweet potatoes and drizzle cashew cheese over them to taste.
- Enjoy! Save leftover stuffing/sweet potatoes for up to 5 days. Stuffing would also be great in other hollowed-out vegetables (like zucchini or squash) or on its own!
Serving size: 1/2 sweet potato + 1 cup stuffing + 2 tbsp cashew cheese | Makes 4 servings
Calories: 430 | Protein: 21 grams | Fiber: 16 grams | Carbohydrates: 74 grams | Fat: 7 grams | Vitamin A: 252% RDA | Vitamin C: 37% RDA | Calcium: 11% RDA | Iron: 54% RDA