I often have people asking me ideas for savory breakfast recipes. Many times vegan breakfasts can consist of smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt and fruit, granola, etc.. which can all trend to being somewhat sweet. So for all of you who are craving a savory, plant-based breakfast with tons of protein and not so many calories- keep reading!
One cup of this scramble only has 215 calories but has 19 (yup- NINETEEN) grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. Once again addressing the whole "protein myth" on a vegan diet. Prep time of this recipe is no more than 10 minutes and cooking takes no more than 15. The best part is that you have so many options to use the scramble- you can put it in a taco, wrap it in a burrito, put it on top of toast with some avocado, or just eat it plain.
For me, giving up eggs and cheese were two of the hardest parts of going completely plant-based. THIS fills that void like you wouldn't believe. The turmeric gives it it's yellow color, the nutritional-yeast gives a cheese-y flavor, and the tofu has an egg-y texture. I have to say I am continually impressed with this recipe because it's so filling, nutritionally dense, and leaves you with a very savory, cheesy, egg-y meal. PLUS there's so much room to adapt it to your own taste. You can throw in as many veggies as you'd like, leave out any ingredients you don't, and it will have an amazing taste any way.
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed and mashed with fork
- 2 cups kale (raw or frozen) - feel free to add other veggies!
- 1/2 can beans (I used kidney but you can sub black or pinto, too!)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, more to taste
- Optional: top with red pepper flakes
- Sea salt (my favorite here) and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Other yummy spices that go well: cumin, coriander, or a little dash of curry
- Sauté kale with garlic until thoroughly cooked
- Add mashed tofu, beans, garlic, soy sauce, and turmeric to skillet and stir to combine
- Cook for 5-8 minutes and stir occasionally to heat all the way through. Add cayenne and more turmeric to taste.
- Once fully heated, remove skillet from heat and add nutritional yeast and stir to mix completely. Add salt and pepper to taste, adding other herbs and spices for desired taste
- Eat as a scramble, wrap in a gluten-free tortilla for a breakfast burrito, put on top of toast with avocado, the options are endless! Enjoy!!
Makes ~3 servings
Calories: 215 | Protein: 19 g | Fiber: 7 g | Carbs: 19 g | Fat: 6 g | | Iron: 23% DV | Calcium: 21% DV | Vitamin A: 23% DV | Vitamin C: 23% DV