Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! I thought something green would be fun for the occasion - and what better green flavor than matcha! Matcha is a ceremonial grade green tea. Instead of steeping the tea leaves like traditional green tea, the matcha leaves are ground and turned into a powder to be made into matcha tea. Since you consume the whole leaf instead of just the diluted tea, you get so many more nutrients! Matcha can contain more than 100x the amount of antioxidants of traditional green tea, making it great for reducing inflammation and preventing disease (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc). I've recently been obsessed with the Brandless GF Pancake/Waffle mix and so I decided to put a green spin on it! You can find my original "veganized" recipe here. This is essentially the same recipe just with 2 tsp matcha powder and a little bit more almond milk.
- 1 bag Brandless Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 2 tsp organic Matcha Powder (my fave here)
- 1 tbsp Brandless Milled Flax Seeds (+ 1.5 tablespoon water to make a Flax Egg)
- 2 tbsp Brandless Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Brandless Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Brandless Organic Maple Syrup or Agave
- Prepare flax egg using 1 tablespoon Brandless Milled Flax Seeds and 1.5 tablespoon hot water. Mix together and let set for 30-60 seconds until a gel forms.
- Warm almond milk and coconut oil together (either in microwave or on stovetop) until completely melted (no coconut oil clumps remain).
- Add Brandless GF Pancake Mix and Matcha Powder to a medium mixing bowl and mix until combined
- Add flax egg and almond milk/coconut oil mixture and whisk until combined. Do not overmix, small lumps are okay! If it is too thick, add more almond milk; if it is too thin add 1/2 tbsp milled flax seeds and mix thoroughly and let sit for a minute or two to thicken.
- Pour ~1/4 cup batter into hot waflle iron and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until waffle iron alerts you waffles are done
- Serve with Brandless Organic Maple Syrup or Agave and top with fresh fruit!
- Makes 6-8 waffles. Enjoy! And Happy St. Patrick's Day!