For World Vegan Day this year, I am taking over The University of Oklahoma's Instagram account! To celebrate, I made a crimson & cream smoothie bowl - the Boomer Bowl!
I first became vegetarian in December of 2013, and after a few years I fully transitioned to a Whole Food, Plant-Based (WFPB) Diet. While I technically am vegan, I prefer to use the term WFPB to accurately describe my diet. A WFPB diet is centered on whole, unrefined, or minimally refined plants. It’s a diet based on fruits, vegetables, tubers, whole grains, and legumes; and it excludes or minimizes meat (including chicken and fish), dairy products, and eggs, as well as highly refined foods like bleached flour, refined sugar, and oil (definition by T. Colin Campbell & Forks Over Knives). A vegan diet is a diet void of all animal products (meats, fish, cheese, eggs, etc.) So while you can see a huge overlap between the two, a vegan diet does not always equal a WFPB diet. For example, I could technically eat vegan corndogs and french fries all day, but is that any better than a Western (Standard American) Diet? By building a lifestyle based on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and other plant-based foods, you are able to get all the nutrients and fiber from the food that you eat to nourish your body to its core.
Some benefits of a WFPB diet include:
- Weight loss
- Decrease blood pressure and cholesterol
- Heart disease prevention
- Better blood sugars and prevention of type 2 diabetes
- Lower rates of cancer
- Regular bowel movements
- Increased energy and decreased fatigue
- Decreased inflammation
- A way to battle autoimmune diseases naturally
- More nutrients & more fiber!
For more information, you can watch Forks Over Knives on Netflix or check out any of these resources under my 'My Faves' tab.
The Boomer Bowl
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 tbsp. Chia seeds
- 1 scoop plant-based (pea, hemp, rice, soy) protein powder
- 1-2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Put all ingredients in a high-speed blender
- Pour almond milk and begin to blend.
- Top with extra pomegranate kernels, strawberries, raspberries, chia, coconut shreds, goji berries, or other topping of choice!
- Enjoy & Boomer Sooner!
Serving Size: 16 oz | Makes 1 Serving (not including toppings)
Calories: 378 | Protein: 20g | Fiber: 14g | Carbs: 49 g | Fat: 9g | Vitamin A: 12% RDA | Vitamin C: 120% RDA | Iron: 14% | Calcium: 56%